2017 EWGA Eastern Shore Chapter
River Run 9-Hole League
at River Run Golf Club
Jennifer Pettolina at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary Ann O’Malley at email@example.com
Pam Primm at firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome Prospective EWGA 9-Hole River Run League Members!
Welcome to the 2017 season! This is the 8th season that our 9-hole league’s home course is River Run Golf Club located on Masters Lane, Berlin, MD with Bob Beckelman, PGA Head Pro. We will be golfing Monday afternoon from June 5 until August 28, with a weekly shotgun off the front 9 starting at 4:30 p.m. An optional light fare will be offered after our round of golf at River Run’s Arnold Palmer Restaurant.
On our June 5 kickoff, please plan to arrive by 3:30 p.m. for a mandatory rules meeting by the Pro and photo shoot for the website and media.
The specific details for registration will be listed on our website, www.ewgaeasternshore.com, using the online program 123signup.
For the upcoming season the handicap requirement has been removed. However, please be aware that this an intermediate league. You must have golf experience, a basic knowledge of rules and proper etiquette, and the ability to keep up appropriate pace of play. We highly encourage you to keep and maintain a handicap either through your own club system or through the EWGA system.
The signup for this league uses the online program, Evite, so you must have access to a computer and have an email address. All members will receive an Evite by Sunday/Monday with an RSVP no later than 5 p.m. Thursday evening for the Monday golf event. No additional golfers may sign up after Thursday. In the case of a cancellation, a member will need to call River Run on Sunday or Monday morning by 9 a.m. Monday morning. If you do not adhere to the cancellation rules, a warning will be issued. On the 3rd occurrence, you will be removed from the league.
Important General EWGA Information:
Please log into our EWGA chapter website at www.ewgaeasternshore.com for comprehensive information about our leagues and activities, as well as read the E-newsletters you receive, which has important updated information you will want to know.
There are many events available for you to participate in addition to our golf leagues, including the Nibbles and Knowledge (rules), Pink Ball League Game, Chapter Championship, Biggest Loser Challenge, Match Play, and Weekly Clinics, just to name a few!!
If you have any questions, please email Jen at:
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com
Jennifer Pettolina, EWGA 9-Hole Co-Captain
MaryAnn O’Malley, EWGA 9-Hole Co-Captain
Pam Primm, EWGA 9-Hole Co-Captain
RIVER RUN 9-HOLE LEAGUE INFORMATION
1. Our 9-hole kickoff is Monday, June 5 at 4:30 p.m. Please arrive at the course around 3:30 p.m. for orientation. Tipping is normally $1-$2.
2. At the Pro Shop, pay by credit card or cash. It is $22 to play each week. Pick up your nametag in the Pro Shop.
3. Someone will also be on hand to let you know to what cart you have been assigned. Your foursome will be randomly selected by River Run’s computer system each week. Around 4:00 p.m. a group picture will be taken of our 9-Hole League. This will be in our Chapter website and will also be sent to the local newspapers.
4. By 4:10 p.m. you should be in your cart to hear greetings from your Co-Captains followed by comments from our Head Pro Bob Beckelman who will also discuss golf rules and etiquette. Promptly at 4:30 p.m. we will drive our carts to our assigned holes for a “Shotgun Start.”
5. At the end of play, everyone is to sign the scorecard for your foursome. Your weekly-designated captain within your foursome should give the scorecard to the staff member in the Pro Shop. If no one is there, give card to Marcy who is in the restaurant. Please write down and save your score so that you can record it in EWGA’s handicap online system or your home golf course where you are a member.
6. It is important that your weekly golf score is recorded in a recognizable handicap system so that your handicap is current and accurate. This year, our Chapter is planning various and fun formats that are based your handicap.
• We record a maximum of 5 over par on any hole. Therefore, par 3 is an 8; par 4 is a 9; par 5 is a 10. On the scorecard, if strokes are beyond the maximum, pick up the ball and place a circle around the number on the card. This score cannot be added into the handicap system; only equitable scores can be entered.
• Don’t forget to record your scores from this past winter in either the EWGA handicap system or your home golf course so that your handicap is accurate if you played in a location in an open season.
• We are continuing the weekly rotational position of the Captain within each foursome, as the Captain is responsible to make the final decision if there is a question with the USGA rules and play. The Captain for your foursome will also return the scorecard to the Pro Shop. Each week, someone within your foursome will be the designated Captain agreed upon by your foursome. This position will rotate each week so that everyone has the opportunity to be a Captain. If you do not have the USGA Rules of Golf 2012-2015, the USGA rules may also be found online at: http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/CompleteROGbook.pdf (It is 215 pages).
REMINDERS FOR THE SEASON:
• Signup by Thursday evening no later than 5 p.m., using Evite for Monday’s golf event. There will be no additions after that time through the captain or River Run staff. If in doubt, sign up and then cancel Sunday or Monday morning by 9 a.m. for Monday’s 4:30 p.m. shot gun. If you do not adhere to the cancellation rules, a warning will be issued. On the 3rd occurrence, you will be removed from the league.
• MaryAnn O’Malley and Pam Primm, Co-captains, are in charge of Light Fare and will be notifying you separately on the Light Fare.
• We will begin the Light Fare on June 5. There will be a message block on the Evite to respond to Light Fare. The Light Fare responses will be used as an estimate for the restaurant in food preparation as last season. On the day of play, however, members will verify Light Fare. Any questions, call MaryAnn O’Malley or Pam Primm.
• On scorecard, if strokes are beyond maximum, pick up the ball and place a circle around the number on the score card. Sign and attest card after each week’s golf. Write down your score so that it can be recorded when you are home.
• Golf partners are computer generated. If you have been randomly assigned to the same person more than twice within the season, notify your Captain so that the partners can be manually adjusted. The goal is to play with a variety of members throughout the season.
RSVP EVITE PROCEDURE:
1. We will again be using the program Evite to RSVP for golf and Light Fare. The Evite invitation will be sent to your email address. Details are below.
a. Open Evite email. Click into VIEW THIS INVITATION. This will take you into another link within Evite. (Skip any personal questions if you have never used Evite).
b. Click either “Yes” or “No” at the top of the invitation to respond to golf.
c. Once you respond “Yes” or “No” for golf, a section called Add a comment will pop up.
d. Type Yes for light fare if staying for Light Fare.
e. Make sure you click the REPLY button so that your response is recorded.
2. If you have difficulties, email Jen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not delete the EVITE email that week in case you decide to change your RSVP before Thursday evening. No changes/additions will be made after that time.
3. When signing up for our June 5th kickoff through Evite, respond no later than Thursday evening, June 1. We are continuing with the policy that no additions will be permitted after Thursday evening at 5 p.m.
4. If you need to cancel for some reason, you must call River Run directly on Sunday but no later than the Monday morning of golf by 9 a.m. River Run’s phone number is: 410-641-7200. If you do not call to cancel, you will still be required to pay for the late cancellation. This year the chapter has instituted a policy that if this occurs more than twice then a member will be dismissed from the league.
RSVP DEADLINE AND CANCELLATION:
The system is simple. Respond to Evite no later than Thursday at 5 p.m. No additions will be permitted after the signup. If you need to cancel golf, you MUST CONTACT RIVER RUN directly on Sunday but no later than Monday morning by 9 a.m. that you are not golfing. Evite invitation will be removed from system by your Co-Captain so that members will be unable to make changes after the 5 p.m. Thursday deadline. Do not call or email the captain to cancel. League members who do not show up without contacting River Run will be required to pay for the late cancellation. The responsibility is on the golf member to call River Run and cancel. River Run’s phone number is 410-641-7200. This year, the chapter has instituted a policy that if this occurs more than twice, then a member will be dismissed from the league.
In case of light rain, we will be golfing. If you are a fair-weather player, then look at the forecast and make a decision for Monday’s golf by Monday morning before 9 a.m. if you plan to cancel. A NO SHOW will be charged the $20 golf. If there is lightning and a heavy downpour, golf will be cancelled by the golf course. You will be notified by e-mail through the captain. If in doubt, call River Run.
Arrive 3:30 p.m. for the 4:30 p.m. shotgun. Please always plan to arrive early so that we can have a 4:30 p.m. "On-Time" shotgun start! Arriving early will give you time to warm up at the driving range, practice your putting, talk to friends, shop in the Pro Shop, and be more engaged for the game of golf.
*DATES OF PLAY:
June 5, 12, 19, 26
July 3, 10, 17, 24, 31
August 7, 14, 21, 28
Total: 13 golf dates at River Run.
*In the event of a cancellation due to rain, an alternative rain date will be announced.
• In order to be eligible for the end-of-year awards for low gross, you must have golfed 7 out of the 13 scheduled dates at River Run.
• For low net awards, you must have golfed 7 out of 13 scheduled dates, including 3 out of 4 dates in August.
Handicap Calculation used for Low Net~
• Each season every EWGA River Run 9-hole member’s handicap is recalculated during the months of June and July. This handicap is used in determining low net awards based on August gross scores.
• Your River Run golf scores are for our 9-hole league only and must be recorded by you in a recognizable and verifiable handicap system, such as EWGA or your home course system, even though the scores are setup in an Excel spreadsheet, checked by River Run and your captain and co-captain to verify the integrity of the scoring and handicap system. This Excel spreadsheet is used for our awards at the end of the season for low gross and low net only. The official, recognizable handicap through EWGA or your home course is based on the slope and rating of each golf course played. More information can be researched through USGA’s website: http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/CompleteROGbook.pdf
EWGA EVENTS AND ACTIVITES:
Our Eastern Shore Chapter offers many events beside the Spring, Summer, and Fall leagues. Please be sure to read the E-newsletter and visit the website, www.ewgaeasternshore.com for details about Socials, Clinics, Biggest Loser Challenge, Nibbles and Knowledge, Chapter Championship, establishing a handicap, Match Play, and Pink Ball.
GUESTS AND GUEST PASSES:
Each player can bring guests (with approval from Captain). The same guest may not play more than 2 times during the season.
Come and join us for great adult golf clinics on Mondays through the season. The clinics will run from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm every Monday. Come to one, or come to all. The cost is $25, and $20 for EWGA, River Run Members and Residents. Bring a friend or two to these fun sessions, and get expert instruction in a comfortable atmosphere.
Please sign up by calling Steve Menz at 302.853.2116.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
The End-of-Season Celebration is included in the $35 league signup fee. This year’s banquet is Thursday, September 7th at Ocean Pines Yacht Club. We will offer an option of 9 or 18 holes prior to dinner.